Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie Redux

I have been somewhat absent from here lately. We have had some illness in our family and I have been sitting with my 98 1/2 year old Auntie at the hospital for the past days. On a wonderful note my husband has returned home from Brussels and my son will arrive home from University tonight. My chicks will all be back in the nest and for that I am so thankful.We are getting my Auntie settled in a rehab, she has some fractured ribs suffered from a bad fall, and a few other issues. But I am hopeful she will pull thorough all of this and be good as new. And Thanksgiving is in full gear here at out home. I am posting my favorite pumpkin pie recipe that I posted exactly a year ago, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving...I will not be baking the Sour Cream Apple pie again this year. There will be this pumpkin pie and an apple pie...
I wish you all a wonderful Thanksgiving...





Well, it is one day and counting. My beautiful natural locally grown turkey is resting in the fridge.
It actually fit in there after I threw out many things that did not belong there anymore. I seem to collect condiments...and it really is a sin to throw these things away but most were past their prime. I actually did most of my shopping today which is unusual for me. I seem to prefer the crowds on the Wednesday before....but I am getting older and maybe a little wiser. I still need to go back there tomorrow. I need to buy some flowers...I usually get these beautiful little flowering Kale stems for my table...but they were no where to be seen today. I will round up my remaining pumpkins and make a nice arrangement...Wednesday night is pie baking central here at my house. This year I am going to try Nick Malgieri's Sour Cream Apple pie for something a little different. And Of course my favorite pumpkin pie....

For the pumpkin pie I use the recipe on the back of the Libby's can of Pumpkin...but I add an extra egg and use heavy cream instead of the evaporated milk. It is such a velvety, creamy, pie made this way. I have also used half and half and that works well too...but the cream is our favorite. It is only once a year, so I am not going to get all hung up about using the cream...heck we whip more cream and put it on top.




Jazzy's Pumpkin Pie
adapted from the back of the Libby's Can
3 eggs slightly beaten
1 can(16 oz) Libby's Solid Pack Pumpkin
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 teas. salt
1 teas. cinnamon
1/2 teas. ginger
1//4 teas. cloves
12  fl.oz. heavy cream or half and half
1 9" unbaked pie shell with high fluted edge.( your favorite recipe or a pre-fab one, your choice...I will not tell the pie police)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix filling ingredients in order given. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and continue baking for 45 minutes or until knife inserted near center of pie filling comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack. Serve with a nice dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream.

For the crust I use Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee...sometimes I substitute some shortening for 1/4 cup of the butter.

Pate Brisee
adapted from Martha Stewart

The pie dough may be made one day ahead and refrigerated, well wrapped in plastic, or frozen up to one month.

Ingredients

* 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
* 1 Teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 Teaspoon sugar
* 1 Cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter cut into pieces( or 1/4 cup cold shortening to replace 1/4 cup of the butter)
* 1/4 to 1/2 Cup ice water


Directions

1. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter pieces to the flour mixture, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. Add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, pouring it through the feed tube with the machine running, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
2. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide into 2 equal pieces, and place on 2 separate sheets of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form 2 disks. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.

I frequently forego the processor and just make this by hand, using either a pastry blender, or two butter knives, or just my fingers. I actually like to feel the pastry dough in my hands. But whatever way is easiest for you...thats what you do.






I wish all who stop by here a very Happy Thanksgiving...I have so much to be thankful for. And for all of my International friends...I wish you could all come by and have dinner with us. I lived in Heidelberg, Germany for 6 years during the 70's and some of the best Thanksgiving dinners were there. Lots of friends...Germans, Expats, Students, a whole melange of people coming together to eat and drink and share the bounty of our lives....those are wonderful memories.

8 comments:

  1. I hope you have a wonderful, happy Thanksgiving, Ann, with your loved ones gathered at your table. I can't wait for the pumpkin pie and the whipped cream.

    So sorry to read about your Auntie. My 90 year old father just had a terrible fall and will be a long time recovering. Such a worry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda........that pie sure looks good. I just love 'pumpkin pie', your designs are sweet :-) on the pie. Maybe this weekend I should make one as I have 2 cans of Libby's canned pumpkin in my pantry, and some Pilsbury Pie Dough. Sorry about Auntie but I'm sure she is on the mend.

    Thats great that they are in the nest together.
    Happy Thanksgiving! my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great pumpkin have fun with your family love the chicks in the nest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Linda, I hope you remember to take care of yourself while taking care of others! The postcards are so pretty :) The Pumpkin Pie is even prettier! So traditional and full of festive cheer. Enjoy your time with the family.

    (Hugs)
    Ju

    ReplyDelete
  5. happy thanksgiving linda, i am sure you are on cloud nine with the family all home! i am sorry to read about your aunt and i hope she is on the mends soon, what spirit she must have! have a wonderful holiday, i can see all the fixings will make it a tasty one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pie looks wonderful! Yum.

    Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pumpkin pie looks delicious! There isn't a better pie for breakfast, lunch and dinner! I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt.I hope she's going to be alright. The pie looks absolutely perfect!

    ReplyDelete