Friday, January 23, 2009

Oatmeal Cookies....a simple pleasure


Sometimes simple is best. I have tried many different Oatmeal cookie recipes...but the one under the lid of the Quaker Oatmeal package is our favorite. It is so versatile and it never fails to please. I only use the Old Fashioned Oats...never the quick or instant. Just good old fashioned rolled oats. The recipe calls for cinnamon and raisins for the traditional cookie. But I have changed it up many times, using dried cranberries, nuts, chocolate chips either white, bittersweet or semi-sweet. Yesterday I made them and left out the cinnamon...added 2 teaspoons of good vanilla( ok... is there really any BAD vanilla!) and they were wonderful. My kids enjoyed them with a glass of cold milk. They left here this morning in the lunchboxes headed off to school and work....and I am sure they will be reached for again after school today.

Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from the Quaker Oatmeal container....
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, softened
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar( I use dark brown)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 Eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups Oats old fashioned, uncooked
1 cup raisins


1. Heat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, beat margarine and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Add combined flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; mix well. Add oats and raisins; mix well.
2. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.( I use parchment paper or a Silpat on my sheets)
3. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets; remove to wire rack. Cool completely. Store tightly covered.
ABOUT 4 DOZEN


VARIATIONS:
• Stir in 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
• Substitute 1 cup semisweet, bittersweet, or white chocolate chips or candy-coated chocolate pieces for raisins; omit cinnamon.
• Substitute 1 cup diced dried mixed fruit, or dried cranberries
Or all of the above! Whatever you like!

HIGH ALTITUDE ADJUSTMENT: Increase flour to 1-3/4 cups and bake as directed.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! You brought a big smile to my face~ the T & T Vanishing Oatmeal Cookie recipe is my favorite, too.

    Yours look perfect! (As everything you cook does.)

    I just made a batch with dried cranberries and toasted pecans on Wed. for our son to take home to the bay area. I drizzled half with Brown Butter Icing just to shake things up a little.

    Your photos are always appealing & everything looks so appetizing. Nice job! xo~m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mari...I need the recipe for the brown butter icing...the boys would swoon over that...
    I have to make another batch already...I would love the cranberries and toasted pecans...maybe I will make a half and half batch as Jake will not touch a nut!
    Thanks for stopping by!
    L xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cupcake pic at the top of your blog. Makes me want to take a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Becky!
    Those were delicious Red Velvet cupcakes....
    L xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought that looked like Red Velvet. You know, I don't think I've made one of those since I did it and won some kind of award at the State Fair when I was in Jr. High. Really ought to try it out again. LOL.

    And in honour of you sharing your pics, recipes, etc., I've given you a blog award. Check it out when you get a chance.

    http://decolady-randommusings.blogspot.com/2009/01/blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well thank you so much Becky...that is so sweet of you!
    L xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  7. between cookies and cupcake header, i know i am in the right place~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Jain...I send you a big hug!
    L xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  9. These cookies are fab and so tempting, I just can't afford to miss. This would surely keep me busy in the kitchen. My kids just hug me for this.

    ReplyDelete