Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Asparagus Risotto -Revisited



 I first posted this recipe last Spring and it is indeed a winner...I noticed that during the last week or so this has been one of my most visited recipes....so I thought I would post it again...exactly as it was last March. I am not going to change a word....
My husband is returning from six weeks away in Brussels on Friday, six weeks with no home cooked meals.
I was thinking what to prepare for his homecoming dinner and I think this will be it. 
Life has been busy here of late. I am helping my youngest son ready to go to Spain on an exchange program on Thursday.Between sports and schoolwork and this and that it has just been crazy. He will not see his dad until he gets back. He will be gone for 10 days. I am so excited for him. This has been a long time being apart for all of us. It has just been hectic...I have not been blogging much. We have been eating fairly simply...just the two of us.On Saturday my husband and I will go to Philadelphia and see our older son perform in Penn Jazz which is a big band that is student run at the UPenn campus. He is a Sax playing engineering student...I love that he loves music as we all do here. It is going to be so nice to see him too, I need to kiss his face!...I need my whole family together for a while....there are big holes here. Soon....





My husband has been asking for Risotto for quite some time. The asparagus are beautiful...and I was inspired by my fellow bloggers Monique and Mary...so tonight I tried a new recipe. It was delicious. It is a Mario Batali recipe, the same one that Monique used on La Table De Nana...part of the asparagus stems are cooked and then pureed and added to the risotto at the last moment...it was simple and really lovely. Thanks Monique! I used homemade chicken stock that I had, there was not quite enough so I added a bit of broth from a box...I served some pan grilled shrimp marinated in lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and Spanish smoked paprika along side...we had a nice bottle of French Sauvignion Blanc...it was a nice end to a hectic week.

The asparagus puree...I just loved the color of it. I cooked the stems
right in the chicken stock.
                                   The first stage of risotto...saute with the butter and oil
        
After about 15 minutes
                                  Just about done....

Asparagus Risotto
         
Adapted from Mario Batali

New York Times-May2,2007

Time: 45 minutes
1 pound asparagus, peeled, trimmed and cut into one-inch-long pieces, tips reserved
4 to 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 medium red onion, diced
1 1/2 cups Arborio  rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
Salt to taste
1/2 cup  grated Parmesan cheese.
1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add half the asparagus stalks and cook until quite soft, at least 5 minutes. Rinse quickly under cold water. Put cooked asparagus in a blender or food processor and add just enough water to allow machine to puree until smooth; set aside.
2. Put stock in a medium saucepan over low heat. Put oil and 1 tablespoon butter in a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium heat. When it is hot, add onion, stirring occasionally until it softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add rice and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is glossy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add white wine, stir, and let liquid bubble away. Add a large pinch of salt. Add warmed stock, 1/2 cup or so at a time, stirring occasionally. Each time stock has just about evaporated, add more.
4. After about 15 minutes, add remaining asparagus pieces and tips, continuing to add stock when necessary. In 5 minutes, begin tasting rice. You want it to be tender but with a bit of crunch; it could take as long as 30 minutes total to reach this stage. When it does, stir in 1/2 cup asparagus puree. Remove skillet from heat, add remaining butter and stir briskly. Add Parmesan and stir briskly, then taste and adjust seasoning. Risotto should be slightly soupy. Serve immediately.
Yield: 3 to 4 servings.
I marinated the shrimp and then skewered them together in twos and grilled them on a stove top grill pan...it was too cold to go out to the grill....


We were in a real hurry to eat here...it looks like I was standing on my head taking pictures...but the rest were , well lets just say this was the best one...you get idea...that parsley leaf looks gigantic in front of my asparagus! But you can see the pale green color of the pureed asparagus...
That was a nice touch...it tasted much better than it looked!



18 comments:

  1. Linda,
    I hope your family can be together again soon! It means so much, especially to us moms. The asparagus risotto looks amazing. My daughter is the asparagus lover and she'll have it when she comes home from college!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo to your son for tackling an instrument while at Penn. And your risotto looks great. I make a similar one but never thought of the puree. I want to try it this way next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really doesn't get any better than the risotto, Linda. I love that you puree it and add the stalks... I've never tried that. How sweet you are about hubby coming back... he is one lucky guy... and this waiting for him when he gets back??? He must feel like a king!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOH Linda, I was sitting here wondering what to make for dinner and then I saw what you were having. Nothing I was thinking about is even going to come to close to your dinner. That looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you kiss all their faces.. :)What a good girl you are..all this time alone and no complaining..

    So neat..music and engineering:)
    J is an engineer and loves music..doesn't play it..you must be glowing with pride..for allof them..

    Linda we love that risotto..and Mario..

    and I love your plate too.. We also favor shrimps..

    Have a good night..sleep tight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, you must be such a proud mom. I can sense it in your words, and you have every reason to be. A sax playing engineering student at U Penn ... how many people can claim to be that? Wishing you and your family more moments together. Your younger son must be really excited. I would be too. Hola Espana! Oh Linda, risotto is something I want to try next. Asparagus is not one of my fave veggies to cook, but only because I don't know how to cook it well. Hopefully this recipe changes things. I want my kids to like asparagus too.

    Hugs
    Ju

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I plan on being a copy-cat and making the risotto with grilled shrimp - gorgeous pics by the way! Enjoy Philly and the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I know you will be excited to have the family back together. Hope DS #2 enjoys his time abroad and that your DH will be home to enjoy your cooking soon.

    The risotto looks fantastic. It's comfort food for me. I'll have to make it soon - you have me hungry for it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm looking for the upcoming asparagus season and I love risotto. To combine both is a great idea, Linda. Greetings from overseas, Anja

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda...The risotto looks amazing and I love, love your plates.My Daughter would die if I made this dish it's one of her 2 fav foods.

    Glad that your Mike is coming home Friday, I know that you missed him.Enjoy the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a wonderful meal to welcome your husband! And congrats on your sons many accomplishments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad your hubby is back and I love hearing about all your family activities. What fun that your son is going to be in Spain for a while!

    Love your asparagus risotto, but I have to tell you, the shrimp look divine. And together, what a dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, I know you'll be glad to have your husband home. It's been a long trip!

    I love risotto. We have it often here. I've been waiting impatiently for the asparagus...all we have so far is the white ones, which I really don't like all that much. But as soon as we have some new green ones, THIS is what I'm having for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda, I hope your family is together soon. I'll bet your husband can't wait to get home.
    A sax playing engineering student? Wow, he's busy. Kudos to him.
    How lucky your son is to be embarking on such an exciting adventure. What a lucky guy.
    I hope you get to kiss all their faces soon. All together!
    I love asparagus. This Risotto and shrimp looks like a perfect dinner for us! Thanks for the idea.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your risotto looks delicious. I've never done the asparagus puree but am always looking for new ways to use asparagus--and, it is just appearing in our markets. I can empathize with how hard it is to be apart from one's children. We have two sons. One lives on the west coast and the other on the east coast. We are smackdab in the middle! We don't get to see them nearly as often as we'd like. However, the time we do have together is very precious.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't wait to try this. Love asparagus and love risotto, so a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh if only someone would cook for me, it looks so good! how fun your iris and up and running, sounds like spring has sprung fat for you now!

    ReplyDelete