Friday, September 18, 2009

Chicken Soup redux...L'Shana Tova...a sweet New Year!

This is a redux of my very first blog post. I have not been here much to post. Life has been very busy of late. We dropped Sam off at UPenn...he is off and running. I am trying to get used to one less face here in the house. It is a work in progress I must say. I will be back in full force soon I hope.

Sundown tonight marks the beginning of the Jewish New Year. The year 5675.
I am busy cooking and cleaning and getting ready....
But I wanted to wish everyone a Happy New Year...whether you celebrate or not.

This soup plays a big part in my holiday dinner....and is loved by many...especially me.
It can cure what ails ya! My house smells wonderful!








Jewish Chicken Soup

1 3+ pound chicken (or 5 lbs of chicken parts or backs and necks)

2 or 3 large onions

5 stalks of celery (use the leaves too if you have them)

8 carrots (I use the whole 1 lb bag of organic carrots)

1 parsnip

1 small turnip (optional)

1 or 2 small zucchini

1 bunch of Italian parsley

1 bunch of dill

3 whole cloves of garlic

Salt to taste


Wash chicken in cold water and place in a large pot. Peel onions and place whole in pot. Wash celery and cut stalks in half and place in pot. Peel carrots wash and place whole in pot. Peel parsnip, wash, cut into pieces and place in pot. Wash zucchini and cut into 4 pieces and place in pot. Peel garlic and place in pot. Cover all the ingredients in the pot with cold water. There should only be about an inch of water above all the ingredients. Do not use too much water!!!

Bring the soup to a boil and skim any foam off the top. Wash the parsley and the dill and place on top of the soup. Cover the pot but leave the cover slightly askew. Add salt to taste. Simmer for about three hours. Remove the chicken and veggies from the soup. Strain the soup through a strainer. Slice the carrots and add to the soup. You can use the cooked chicken for something else or shred the meat and add it to the soup. Serve with cooked small noodles such as orzo or egg barley. This soup will cure colds, flu, and just about anything that ails you.
Keep the noodles separate from the soup or else they will "suck"up all the broth. Put a portion of noodles in the bowl and then ladle soup over top. This soup is also fabulous with Matzo Balls.

Matzo Balls
adapted from Claudia Roden's recipe (from "The Book of Jewish Food: An Odyssey from Samarkand to New York")Thanks to my friend Lori for turning me on to this easy recipe.

2 eggs, separated
1/2 cup matzo meal
1 teaspoon salt

Beat the egg whites until stiff. Fold in the lightly beaten yolks, as well as the matzo meal and salt until well amalgamated. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.

In a pot of well-salted boiling water, roll dough into 3/4-inch (2-cm) balls and simmer in the water for 20 minutes. Lift from water with slotted spoon and keep warm. Serve with hot soup.
You can add some finely chopped parsley or some ground ginger to these. Also a little cayenne pepper is also nice. I love them straight up.

10 comments:

  1. This recipe sounds wonderful and the picture...it looks delicious! I could pull up a chair! Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year and WOW - one for the great recipe, the other for a son in UPenn! I want my kids to go to UPenn too ... 10 years from now, starting with me eldest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year to you and your family Linda! I hope the upcoming year is as sweet as honey for you all.

    I'm forever grateful that you showed me how to make REAL Chicken soup. :) Wish I had a bowl of it right now. You are a temptress! ((Hugs)) to you, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean, currently my blogging behavior suffers from much of work as well.

    Your Chicken soup looks mouthwatering. and with the dumplings... yummy. have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happiest of New Years Linda.. This soup is a wonderful way of ringing it in!~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this soup. And I love your photo!!

    I just made a batch of our favorite "liquid gold" last week. The weather is supposed to turn much cooler this week, and I think a bowl of matzoh ball soup will be perfect! What a great way to start the new year, yes?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you too GF....glad to see you!
    It was a wonderful way to start the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This chicken soup bowl sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda that is the best picture of matzo ball soup I've seen. Makes me wish I could dip a spoon through my screen.

    ReplyDelete