Saturday, February 21, 2009

Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding

This recipe was featured in the March issue of Bon Appetit, in Molly Wizenberg's(Orangette) column. I had earmarked the recipe the moment I read my magazine. The article really touched my heart as she speaks of her father, herself , and rice pudding. She lost her Father to cancer in December 2002...I also lost my Dad to cancer in December 2002. That made reading her beautiful article all the more meaningful to me. My Dad also loved rice pudding...it felt good to make this recipe...he would have loved it.

Vanilla Bean Rice Pudding
recipe by Molly Wizenberg
Bon Appetit Magazine March 2009

Cooking Life columnist Molly Wizenberg remembers her father with this recipe for one of his favorite dishes, rice pudding. This rich, creamy pudding is delicious served warm or cold. If you feel like dressing up the dessert a bit, add a cinnamon stick while the rice is cooking, or top the finished pudding with a sprinkling of raisins and a little freshly grated nutmeg just before serving.

6 to 8 servings
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup basmati rice
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups whole milk
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  • Bring 1 1/2 cups water, rice, and salt to simmer in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add milk, cream, and sugar. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Increase heat to medium; cook uncovered until rice is tender and mixture thickens slightly to a soft, creamy texture, stirring occasionally, about 35 minutes.
  • Remove pudding from heat and discard vanilla bean. Divide pudding evenly among small bowls. Serve warm or press plastic wrap directly onto surface of each pudding and chill thoroughly. DO AHEAD Pudding can be made 2 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.
My Notes: This is a really nice version of rice pudding. It is not at all sweet. My family likes it a bit creamier and looser so you can mix in a spoon or two of milk or half and half right before you eat it. We also like to sprinkle a little ground cinnamon over top....

12 comments:

  1. This is a nostalgic recipe for me too. I remember my grandmother making this heavenly pudding when I was a little girl. Sometimes she added a few raisins.

    Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks good and congrats on fg/ts, i forget which one, but i saw ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hugs to you both ladies!
    L~xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a creamy rice pudding - I love that you poured a little milk into yours. Looks delicious, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda;

    Looks good Linda as usual......it's so creamy and smooth......my DH would love you to death. He just can't get enough of rice pudding. It's like a staple where he is from.

    Erica

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty and look at all of those vanilla seeds in there! Yum, Linda ~ very nice. It's been raining lightly for the past several hours here, so a nice, pretty bowl of your rice pudding, a cozy fire and a good book sound like the perfect thing for a lazy Sunday. :) xo~m.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOOOH Linda, I love, love a creamy rice pudding. And yours looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, what a better way to remember someone than through their favorite foods. this looks especially delicious. I like how creamy the texture is!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My elder boy is coming home next week from hostel. He is a fan of rice pudding. I think this would be just perfect him. This sounds so tasty. And would keep me busy in the kitchen, again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello
    Thank you for the vanilla recipes

    ReplyDelete