Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Vinegar Glossed Chicken....

This is such a simple dish and so delicious....it comes from Lucinda Scala Quinn's cookbook...Mad Hungry: Feeding Men and Boys...It is a beautiful collection of simple, delicious, and easy recipes. I have been feeding men and boys for over 20 years here and I know what they will and will not eat. I must admit I have a pretty spoiled bunch here. They have loved everything I have tried from this book. Lucinda's recipes are very much in the style that I love to cook. It is never too late to teach an old dog...ME...a few new tricks. It makes everyday cooking more exciting to add a new twist to things.  I am going to give this book to my college aged son for his first kitchen. I think it would be a lovely gift for any boy or young man going out on their own. Girls for that matter too... I have been enjoying it a lot myself. Especially when I need to get dinner on the table quickly...this lovely dinner was on the table in less than an hour. A wonderful meal for a busy weeknight, and one I would serve for company anytime. I served this with creamy polenta and roasted greens beans and grape tomatoes.

 Vinegar Glossed Chicken
Mad Hungry/Lucinda Scala Quinn
Mad Hungry Blog
 Serves 6 to 8
  • 1 cup best-quality red-wine vinegar
  • 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
  • 3 sprigs fresh rosemary, chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
  • 5 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken pieces (each part should be cut in half)
  • Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Extra-virgin olive oil
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth, plus more as needed
  1. At least 15 minutes and up to 2 hours before cooking, combine the vinegar, garlic, and rosemary to marinate.
  2. Thoroughly season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper. Heat a 14-inch skillet (or two smaller skillets) over high heat and swirl in enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the skillet. Place the chicken in the skillet, skin side down. Don't crowd the chicken; leave space around each piece. Work in batches if necessary. You should hear an immediate sizzle when the chicken pieces hit the pan. Don't move them; it takes a couple of minutes to sear the chicken so it doesn't stick. Brown all sides; this will take 10 minutes per batch. Regulate the heat so it stays high but does not burn the chicken. Place all the browned chicken back in the skillet.
  3. Add the chicken broth and scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Lower the heat, simmer, and reduce for 15 to 20 minutes. Increase the heat to high and pour in the vinegar mixture. Swirl the pan and stir around as the vinegar evaporates to form a simmering glaze, 8 to 10 minutes. Serve immediately or refrigerate, and reheat with some extra broth.  

My notes: I already had about 4 1/2 plus  pounds of small organic chicken legs and thighs to use, so that is what I did. I did not cut the pieces in half because they were already on the small side. I also was a little bit short of my good red wine vinegar so I topped off what I had with a bit of really nice Balsamic vinegar to make a cup. I probably used two or three tablespoons of the Balsamic in all. I admit that I threw in a few more cloves of garlic...so I used 5 in all. What can I say. We really love garlic. Since I had a lot of fresh Rosemary that needed to be used I used more of that as well. I was lucky to have some of my home made chicken stock on hand and I used that for the reduction.The vinegar reduces down to a lovely ,syrupy, sweet and sour sauce...this  chicken was wonderful reheated the next day for lunch and great cold. Uh, can you tell we loved this.

I have been making a dish we always called "Vinegar Chicken" in my family for over 30 years. It originally came from a dish called Chicken Savoy...this is very similar. But much better!




My son took this action shot of me stirring the polenta!  His first time using my camera...how could I not include it! He was very interested in this dinner, just from the aromas wafting from the kitchen. That was a good thing...

36 comments:

  1. I love that first picture with the gravy over the polenta! This recipe sounds wonderful. It's basic goodness, but still interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, this looks so good and a dish that everyone in my family would love. It does look very easy so I would love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barefoot Belle...thanks so much for stopping by and your kind words!

    Regina...make it....you will love it!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can imagine that a good red wine vinegar does amazing things to the chicken. Polenta is my now favorite side and I can't wait to try this. Mouthwatering photo, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Damn, damn,damn, I just roasted a chicken last night.....how I wish i had this recipe instead. Oh well there's always next week!

    Sounds and looks delish.

    jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda! Your food always looks so hearty and warming. And kudos for feeding your spoiled bunch so well for 20 years ... it is no easy feat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOH Linda, I'd love your dinner. Polenta is the best side dish. Looks so creamy.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all so much for your kind comments!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know how you forget about recipes you used to love and then remember years later and go DUH, why don't I make that anymore??? Ok, long winded opening but I used to love a raspberry vinegar chicken made much like this...it was so tangy good... thanks so much for jogging my memory!! Your chicken looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((((hugs Deana)))))
    This chicken rocked....I am always so happy to find a new twist on something we really loved from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This has so many of my favorite ingredients - lots of garlic and Rosemary. The vinegar must give it a tenderness and great flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scrumptious chicken!!! Perfect dinner on a winter evening.

    ReplyDelete
  13. PSLinda... made your chicken...that sauce should be illegal. It was even better than I thought it was going to be!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Of course you had to include the photo your son took of you stirring the polenta. If you hadn't I for one would have been disappointed. When teenagers are interested in what your doing welcome them with open arms!!!! A while ago my daughter volunteered to clean artichokes for me while I took pictures, yes her hands became dirty, her nails looked wretched after a while, (a friend actually sugested I photoshop her nails to clean them up) I didn't and it's a memory I will treasure for the rest of my life. We had a ball.
    This recipe looks delicious. When my college girl comes home perhaps we will prepare it together.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know you've talked about this recipe before...but seeing the photos has finally pushed me into making this. Looks wonderful, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank for stopping by all of you !
    Deana...it should be illegal!

    Thanks for your kind words...

    Ellie...thank you so much for visiting! I love you blog!

    I would never rave about a recipe if it were not a winner here...and this one certainly is, and then some!

    I can not wait to make it again...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmm, this looks great. Always looking for ways to make chicken. Thanks! New to your site. Love it here already. Can't wait to poke around some more.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you Alex...thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks delicious, so do your cinnamon rolls below!New to your blog so I'm gonna go look around :) Stop by and enter my first give away.
    mickey
    http://monstermama-monstermama.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for stopping by Mickey!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can see why you would be so happy with the results of this dish. It just looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yummy! Your dish looks so healthy! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda, I've been looking at this recipe since you first posted it. I'm supposed to get a free-range chicken from my CSA this week and I'm thinking I should feel up to cooking by then. I've got everything else to make this and I'm anxious to taste it. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Becky it is a good one...hope you enjoy! I know you guys are polenta fans...hope you can make that too!

    Thanks Sherman!

    Thanks all for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  25. gosh this sounds great, i have made balsamic chicken, but the red vinegar sounds extra good right now... for breakfast! hoping all is well with you and the menfolk~

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks like an easy and especially delicious chicken recipe.I hope to make it in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  27. God! it looks delicious and although i do not eat meat i'll definitely try it for my son and husband!
    loved the cookies on the sidebar!
    Happy wkend, Linda!

    Rosa

    ps. hope you appreciate my cookies recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks to you all for stopping by and leaving your kind comments!

    ReplyDelete
  29. just found this via a blogger friend of yours who was waxing lyrical about this recipe.

    I may have a go at it tonight !

    ReplyDelete
  30. Found my way here from Once Upon a Plate. Of course I had to "follow" anyone who can cook like this. 6:00 am and I am craving vinegar chicken for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting!
    I hope you love this as much as we do...
    L xo

    ReplyDelete
  32. My guys love this chicken too! Awesome recipe and photos, especially the action shot!

    ReplyDelete
  33. The visitor from Point Roberts on your live traffic feed, has been looking for a place to subscribe to my email box. I have you bookmarked, but get busy and forget to go there. Am I missing it or is it only the feeds, etc. I also don't understand the profile thing... old age so will pick anonymous. I guess you can tell that I like this place. :o) Amy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Linda, I can't believe I have never posted a 'thank you' to you for sharing this recipe. I have made it several times & even blogged about it, but failed to let you know how much we enjoy it. In fact, I am making it for supper today. That was what brought me back to the recipe, just to make sure I was still doing it right.
    It IS fabulous...we all love it.

    Grateful hugs,
    Rett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rett...i am happy you enjoyed it!
      I am not here much these days, sorry I am so late in getting back to you!
      L xo

      Delete