Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Summer Berry Flag Day Pie....

I have not been here much of late. I have a full house which I love. My husband is working from home and my college boy did not find a summer job until yesterday. So I have been making breakfast and lunches and constantly running to the market for more food...two teen aged boys are eating me out of house and home. We have had some lovely meals but no time to photograph them and share them here.My younger son is still in school, finals are this week and thankfully Friday is the last day of school and summer officially starts.

Last week was Flag Day and also my husband's birthday. I found myself with a lot of blueberries and blackberries and they had to be used so I made a pie. I used my usual crust...Martha Stewart's Pate Brisee. Always wonderful and flaky. The filling was also from Martha Stewart...very simple. It was a glorious pie.

The  filling was simple....for a 9 inch double crust pie.
You can use your favorite pie crust recipe....I love Martha's Pate Brisee

Pate Brisee
adapted from Martha Stewart

The pie dough may be made one day ahead and refrigerated, well wrapped in plastic, or frozen up to one month.

Ingredients

* 2 1/2 Cups all-purpose flour
* 1 Teaspoon coarse salt
* 1 Teaspoon sugar
* 1 Cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter cut into pieces( or 1/4 cup cold shortening to replace 1/4 cup of the butter)
* 1/4 to 1/2 Cup ice water
Directions

1. Place the flour, salt, and sugar in the bowl of a food processor, and process for a few seconds to combine. Add the butter pieces to the flour mixture, and process until the mixture resembles coarse meal, about 10 seconds. Add the ice water in a slow, steady stream, pouring it through the feed tube with the machine running, just until the dough holds together. Do not process for more than 30 seconds.
2. Turn the dough out onto a work surface. Divide into 2 equal pieces, and place on 2 separate sheets of plastic wrap. Flatten, and form 2 disks. Wrap, and refrigerate at least 1 hour before using.


Summer Berry Pie
adapted( barely) from the July issue of Martha Stewart Living

You need a nine inch pie plate...roll the crust out to about an 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of a 9 inch pie plate. I prefer using a glass pyrex pie plate.
Trim the excess dough flush with the edges of the plate or crimp the edges.
Combine 6 cups berries. I used 4 cups of blueberries and 2 cups of blackberries, 3/4 cup sugar, 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch, 2 Tablespoons Lemon juice, and a pinch of salt. Fill bottom crust with the berries and then roll out the top crust. I cut some strips with a pastry wheel and placed them onto the pie and then I cut out some stars with two star cutters, one small and one larger and just placed them here and there. I used an egg wash to "glue" them onto the pie and gave the entire pie a nice brushing with the egg wash( one egg and a tablespoon or so of cream) and a sprinkle of sanding sugar. I baked the pie on a half sheet pan covered with a piece of baking parchment to catch any drips.
Pre heat oven to375* and bake for one hour and 20 minutes. Tent with foil after one hour if the crust is getting too brown.
The recipe in the magazine states to freeze the pie for a hour before baking. I did not have time to do that and my freezer was quite full so I did not do that step. The pie was just fine. I will freeze the pie next time and see if there is much difference. The original recipe is for 6, 5 inch mini pies...I think I will bake those for the 4th of July.
We ate it warm...hardly letting it have enough time to cool and had a slice with vanilla ice cream. It did not look as pretty on the plate as if we had let it cool longer, but no one wanted to wait. The berries were sweet and delicious and the crust was buttery and so flaky.
In the end it was a mess of purple berries and melted ice creamy deliciousness....


It was a nice day....how lovely is it to have too many berries? A problem I wish I were faced with everyday.
This pie held up well at room temperature for several days. The berry filling firmed up and the pie was easier to slice neatly.

I baked this pie the night before my darling husband's birthday. So on the actual day, of course he had a cake.
 A yellow cake with milk chocolate ganache frosting, the recipe from Rose Levy Beranbaum's newest book
"Heavenly Cakes". I used some Callebaut Milk chocolate that my husband recently brought me back from Belgium. But that is a story for another day.

17 comments:

  1. You've been a busy lady. I am drooling over both of those desserts, but those fresh berries are so wonderful this time of year. And with a scoop of ice cream it's heavenly. The little star decorations add a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda - I've enjoyed my kids being home immensely but it's going to end soon. My son has accepted his first job in Oklahoma City and we will be moving him there this weekend :( Enjoy the boys before they become independent and move to another state! Oh yes...the pie looks divine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much ladies...
    Yes Dragana I am thrilled that they are still here and my house if full. My baby is a rising senior and I am so not looking forward to the college search/application stuff, but more than that not having him around...we will be an empty nest soon...where does the time go?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Linda, it is a beautiful pie! I adore desserts like that. That slushy mess must have tasted heavenly. I love Martha's pate brisee too, thanks to you. I discovered it in your apple pie post. :) Looking forward to reading about your hubby's cake.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda......your pie looks so amazing. Your other dessert looks decadent especially with that Belgian chocolate.
    Glad your guys are all home.....enjoy them. Thanks for the great photo's again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. your pie looks so good! glad everyone is home and happy, even if you are a nonstop chef to all, it has to feel good the nest is full again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you my dears...
    The house will not be this full for long...I just found out my husband is off to Brussels again sooner than we thought. Oh well...so it goes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Linda, that is one gorgeous pie. Your pastry looks perfect.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, agreed, perfect pastry! Way out east in the old days they called that Jumbleberry pie... I love the name and it gives you license to use whatever you have. They are always a surprise and so delicious. I love those stars and its great you have a full house...so much good eating for everyone, but who wants to wait for a picture to be taken???

    ReplyDelete
  10. That pie is so scrumptious that I wish I could stick a fork into it and take a big bite. And the little stars make it so festive. I would love a slice of that delicious chocolate birthday cake as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday to your hub Linda. can Nevr have too many berries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda - Saw your post and wanted to thank you for blogging those Martha Stewart recipes. I also shared it on Twitter: http://twitter.com/MarthasCircle/status/16948156953 ~Ross

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for stopping by and visiting!
    This pie is still in my memory...it was delicious.
    I am waiting for my little pie tins to get here so I can bake the little ones....for the 4th for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. *Sigh* Both are gorgeous~

    I would be so happy with either dessert, but I'm leaning towards the black & blueberry combo... lovely!

    Oh, those LUCKY men in your life!!

    Enjoy every moment with your guys~ you're blessed.

    Happy times for you, sweet friend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, what a gorgeous pie. I love the stars and the stripes on this--a FABOO idea! And eating it warm with ice cream. Wowiezowie. It doesn't get better than that. (especially with a full house. I love that too...)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I still want a pie crust lesson from you...those are just gorgeous crusts!!!

    ReplyDelete