Monday, May 3, 2010

Jacques Pepin's Split Quick Roasted Chicken with Mustard Crust

I have not been here much lately or cooking all that much for that matter. Almost as soon as my husband returned home from Belgium I got sick with the cold and yuck of the century and stayed that way for the entire time he was here.BY the time he left it was full blown Bronchitis.  My son went to Spain and returned home with the same cold. So my dear husband is back in Brussels for another 5 weeks and my 17 year old and I are awaiting his brother to finish finals and join us here at home.
It is difficult to make a spatchcocked chicken sprawled all in its glory in the pan look good in a picture. But let me tell you this chicken is wonderful.These pics do not do it justice. I make a pretty great roasted whole chicken, but once in a while you just need something a little different. This chicken is done in 30 minutes start to finish and is juicy and absolutely delicious . I used a vintage black cast iron skillet to start it on the stove and finish roasting in the oven. It fit my little just under 4 pound chicken quite well. I have made this several times and each time it did not disappoint. You can also deglaze the pan with a bit of white or red wine and a little bit of chicken broth and swirl in a tiny bit of butter at the end with the heat off to make a nice little sauce. The second time I made this dish I did that and served it with mashed potatoes. The first time we had roasted potatoes and asparagus....no sauce , just the de-fatted pan juices. I saw him make this on his show and he did deglaze the pan with wine. Either way it is a wonderful chicken. Jacques has never let me down...every recipe of his that I have tried has always been wonderful.



Jacques Pepin's Split Quick Roasted Chicken with Mustard Crust
adapted from: More Fast Food My Way and Food and Wine Magazine
4 servings
  • 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 tablespoons dry white wine
  • 1 tablespoon soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon Tabasco hot pepper sauce
  • 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds)
  • Fluffy Mashed Potatoes(optional)
For the crust: Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl.
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Using kitchen shears or a sharp knife, cut alongside the backbone of the chicken to split it open. Spread and press on the chicken with your hands to flatten it. Using a sharp paring knife, cut halfway through both sides of the joints connecting the thighs and drumsticks and cut through the joints of the shoulder under the wings as well. (This will help the heat penetrate these joints and accelerate the cooking process.)
Put the chicken skin side down on a cutting board and spread it with about half the mustard mixture. Place the chicken flat in a large skillet, mustard side down. Spread the remaining mustard on the skin side of the chicken. Cook over high heat for about 5 minutes, then place the skillet in the oven and cook the chicken for about 30 minutes. It should be well browned and dark on top.
Let the chicken rest in the skillet at room temperature for a few minutes, then cut it into 8 pieces with clean kitchen shears. Defat the cooking juices. If you like, mound some Fluffy Mashed Potatoes on each of four warm dinner plates and place 2 pieces of chicken on each plate. Pour some juice on the mashed potatoes and chicken and serve.

17 comments:

  1. I am printing this recipe out immediately. Would you believe that at this moment I have a whole chicken baking in my oven, but it's in one of those clay pots. We used to enjoy this type of chicken so much, but seems like the last few times I have used it the flavor is not what it used to be. Is it us or the clay pot? Do you think they age?
    Can't wait to try your chicken recipe. Looks so good!
    Karen
    Ladybug Creek

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Karen! We really enjoyed this...one reason the fabulous flavor and the other reason the quick timing of the whole thing.

    I am going to try it on the grill soon...I think that the flavors of the mustard crust will be really lovely when it is grilled with indirect heat.

    I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't go wrong with a roast chicken dinner. Looks fabulous Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you have been ill. Your chicken looks wonderful though and I agree you can't go wrong with a recipe from Jacques Pepin. stay well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. awwwww im sorry to hear about ur illness Linda. i hope ur feeling much better now.

    the chicken looks awesomely good. I like Jacques Pepin. he's quite funny with his lovely French accent and the way he cooks... I love watching him ;) i bet the chicken tastes really good with all the crust and grilled bits I see. Oh YUM2

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG - this looks so good. I'm definitely going to roast a chicken this way. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I thought your chicken looked very dramatic peeking out of it's black skillet... and I love that method of cooking... everything gets done so nicely. Great recipe with the mustard... hope you are feeling better!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great Linda......fabulous photo's I feel like I'm right there. Now I have a craving for some chicken. Yesterday I saw at the supermarket buy 1 chicken and get 1 free, I just might make a trip out there and get some. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The mustard crust on your chicken looks fantastic. And I especially like the quick cooking time. I bet it will be wonderful cooked on the grill.

    I'm so sorry to hear you've been under the weather, Linda. Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mustard crust! This sounds as though it would be very flavorful and moist. I haven't roasted a chicken in a while. I must give this recipe a try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I've read someplace that splitting the chicken that way is perfect for grilling; but that would apply to any kind of cooking I would think. It would cook evenly and quickly in the oven just as it would on a grill.
    I love the mustard crust! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you are feeling better Linda. I can almost taste the chicken - it looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great Linda. I'm looking forward to making this recipe when I can start with a whole fresh chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  14. waving hi, as you can guess i live outside now so not much free time online, but i sure hope you share your iris when you are blooming up a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Linda, thanks for following my travels. It's good to be home and to be able to check in with you.

    I hope you're feeling better. Any chance of your getting to Belgium this summer? I hope so!

    I've bookmarked this recipe--it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda - I hope you are well by now and reunited with your sons. This chicken is a definite keeper. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete