Friday, January 15, 2010

Chili Dogs and not ashamed to say so...


I am not ashamed to say that there are just some nights when caution goes to the wind and certain things are screaming to be eaten. My husband walked in the door very late, the boy was out at Jazz Band practice and had eaten earlier, the other boy had gone back to UPenn that morning....there was a pot of chili on the stove...
We had chili dogs...and a beer...and it was really good! There are times when a good hot dog just hits the spot. Usually that would be with mustard and sauerkraut and not all that often. This night it was a chili dog.


This was fairly standard easy night chili prepared with ground sirloin rather than my usual method of taking a chuck roast and giving it a whirl in the food processor to come out with a chunky coarse grind of meat. Meat sauteed and drained with some sauteed onion and garlic, Gebhardts chili powder, ancho chili powder, Spanish smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin,...and maybe a few other things I forgot to mention, a few cans of drained pinto beans...some fire roasted tomatoes,some poblano chilis that I had roasted and frozen, and a bottle of Corona...and the pot was simmering. No recipe really...

A Sour dough roll split in half...two Nathan's hot dogs...the chili...grated cheese,tomato, avocado, red onion, cilantro...a plate attacked with knife and fork kind of chili dog...
We did not even need Tums later on which was a miracle...



My husband looked at me and said, "Babe, you should take a picture of that"....I laughed. I asked what we should call it. He said "A mess, a delicious mess!"....and it was.

22 comments:

  1. no recipe really? but pictures that makes my mouth watering... your meat looks so juicy, the vegetables look so fresh and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babe:) How cute is that? then you should take a photo? Double cute!Lulu just came back gotta go..Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's brilliant, its arrive, sometimes, to me, when I am alone to eat hod dogs but not so sophisticated as this one, I note the recipe for next time

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's moments like these that I really wish I liked hot dogs. But I can't do it. I can do a polish sausage every now and then, but not hot dogs. But they do look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum...how delicious is that! You just can't beat a good dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are right! There are days when chili dogs and beer just hit the spot...Tonight...we are going for a hamburger and beer...I cannot bring myself to cook tonight!

    Your dog looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot DAWG that looks good! I think that's the best looking, top shelf chili dog I've laid my eyes on girlfriend. :p

    I would love that ~ and your photos are great, they tell the story as words never could. I'm craving a chili dog right now. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, yum. Here in Belgium it's not chili dogs but bratwurst. We eat them about twice a year, usually out of doors at a festival.

    This mess looks truly delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the best-looking chili dog I have EVER seen! When we were first married, the ex- and I used to have chili dogs every Friday nite. But none looked as good as yours! Now I have a craving...

    Great photos, my friend!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. chili dogs like those are gourmet food...fabulous!
    One of my favorite things is corn dogs... and oh how I get teased for that... great photos and I can't wait to
    do a chili dog next!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad that my guilty pleasure is shared by others...

    There are times when a good hot dog just hits the spot!

    We do have Bratwurst a bit more often as we have a really fabulous German Butcher here in my town who makes all manner of excellent German sausages...

    But this is made a pure , all beef Kosher style, garlicky, Nathan's hot dog...

    OMG I want another!:X...

    Geez...I have not had a corn dog in many years....ya got me thinking of one right now!LOL

    Thanks for stopping by everyone!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks so good Linda!! o MY I need it so much - right now..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, that is one good looking Chili Dog. Moe would be thrilled if I made him that for dinner.

    That couldn't have been easy to photograph but you certainly did your chili dog justice. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda.....great food and photo, wished I still lived in NJ near you......this way I could come over. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ann...it was on my placemat seconds before I took the first bite...:)
    Which is how I usually take all of my pics...some are good and some are bad...


    Thanks all for visiting me!
    L~xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. dear Linda, come over to my blog... I have a present for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Give me a delicious mess any day, any time of day! It looks hearty and so appetising! Linda, your food is always so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! I love the looks of that. Sometimes a chili dog does hit the spot. I make ours with a Cincinnati Chili recipe. Similar to Skyline Chili, it satisfies my soul.
    Sounds like a wonderful evening with the hubby!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow , my first visit to your blog and what do I find? Chili dogs. Yummer. I will definitely make the rosemary flatbread, but I'll dream about the chili dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. SOMETIMES THE MOST SIMPLE THINGS ARE THE BEST!!!! THAT SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT TIME!!! NEVER DID THIS DISH BUT I LOVE SPICY FOOD SO THIS WILL BE A WINNER!!! I'M SORRY BUT I'LL HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR RECIPE!! I WILL HAVE TO DO IT THE VEGETARIAN WAY! I DO NOT EAT MEAT FOR 15YEARS NOW ALTHOUGH I COOK IT TO MY FAMILY!!! BET IT WILL TASTE AS GOOD!!!
    HAPPY WK,
    ROSA

    ReplyDelete