Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Mini Turkey Burger-Sliders

I absolutely love this recipe and so does my family, especially the kids. I went to a taping of the Martha Stewart show in 2007 and she was making these during the taping. The aroma alone had me hooked and I went home and made them soon after. They are easy and delicious. I whir the bread in the food processor and since it is already out and dirty I remove the breadcrumbs and just whir the onion in the processor with the blade...I also tend to cheat and use already shredded cheese that I may have on hand. Since the processor is already dirty, you can shred the cheese in there. I do add a heaping tablespoon of dijon mustard to the mix...it gives it a really
nice flavor. I serve them with sweet potato oven fries and white potato oven fries and a pickle. This time I used Ina's roasted tomatoes on top of the sliders...they were really delicious that way. In my neck of the woods we get little Martin's potato rolls and that is what I use for these sliders, unless I make my own mini hamburger buns. Any store bought dinner roll will do...

Mini Turkey Burger-Sliders

Mini turkey burgers are a fun and easy way to satisfy appetites of all ages. This recipe was originally published in Everyday Food, June 2007.

Ingredients

Serves 4.

* 2 slices white sandwich bread, (about 1 ounce each)
* 1 pound (93 percent lean) ground turkey
* 2 ounces cheddar cheese, coarsely grated (about 1/2 cup)
* 1/2 small onion, coarsely grated
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 12 party-size rolls
* Lettuce, sliced tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard, for serving (optional)


Directions

1. In a food processor, pulse bread until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a medium bowl; add turkey, cheese, and onion. Season with salt and pepper, and mix gently just until combined. Form twelve 2-inch patties (about 3 tablespoons each).
2. In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook patties until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Serve on rolls with lettuce, tomatoes, ketchup, and mustard, if desired.


Sweet Potato Fries

These sweet potato fries are easy to make and are a delicious accompaniment to our mini turkey burgers. This recipe was originally featured in Everyday Food, June 2007.

Ingredients

Serves 4.

* 2 sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds total), peeled and cut into 1/2-by-2-inch sticks
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Divide potatoes between two rimmed baking sheets; toss with oil, and season with salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer without overlapping. Roast, tossing once, until tender and starting to brown, 25 to 30 minutes.
2. Sprinkle with lemon juice; season with salt and pepper, if desired. Toss to coat.


5 comments:

  1. I wanted to make your sliders this week, but the flu got the best of me. Next week for sure!! They look so juicy - the roasted tomatoes seem like a perfect addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori...I hope you get to try them. They are delish and fun to eat at the same time!
    I hope you feel better soon!
    L~xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember that taping! Yummy! Can I come over!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at hello with the sliders! There is nothing that says Summer, quite like a juice burger fresh off the BBQ!

    ReplyDelete