Friday, January 16, 2009

Balthazar Pots de Creme

Balthazar Pots de Creme

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped( I used Callebaut...use really good chocolate if possible, this is not the place to use Toll House chips...next time I will use Valrhona)

6 large egg yolks

METHOD
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a medium saucepan, combine the cream, milk, sugar and vanilla. Whisk to combine and bring to a boil over a medium heat. Add the chopped chocolate and whisk until melted. Remove from heat.

In a medium bowl, lightly beat the eggs yolks. In a slow steady stream, add the chocolate-cream mixture, whisking until smooth. Divide the mixture among 6 ramekins, small custard bowls, or espresso cups (about 6 ounces each) and place them in a large casserole or high-sided baking dish.

Make a Bain-Marie (or water bath), by pouring cold water into the casserole so that it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins or custard bowls. Cover tightly with foil and bake on the center rack for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The custards should jiggle slightly in the center when finished.

Let cool to room temperature then place in the refrigerator. Serve cool.

(I really liked them more at room temperature. I served them with freshly whipped cream and a big fat sweet juicy strawberry.)



Well... these were really delicious. The recipe was given to me by my good friend Ernie, it is from the Balthazar cookbook. The only problem I had was that my "pots" were no where near done and jiggly after 1 hour and 15 minutes. So I raised the temp to 350* and went another 10 minutes and they were perfect.

I really need to get some little pots with covers for my pots de creme...I better start looking for some nice ones. Until then I have my little red Apilco ramekins...I love them too.


2 comments:

  1. I love your little red Apilco ramekins! These look delicious. I could use a bit of chocolate right now... Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this once and it turned out wonderfully! So, I made it again the next week, and it didn't set. Nothing changed... what happened, I can;t figure it out to save my life.

    ReplyDelete