Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Apple Lady's Apple Cake






This is a recipe from Patricia Wells that is loved by my family. It seems almost impossible, lots of apples, very little else...and it comes together like a beautiful apple miracle....half cake...half clafouti...so delicious...and easy!

The Apple Lady's Apple Cake
adapted from the Paris Cook Book
Patricia Wells

Yield: 8 servings



1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup whole milk
4 baking apples (about 2 lbs. total), cored, peeled, and cut into wedges
The Topping:
1/3 cup sugar
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Butter a 9-inch springform pan and set it aside.

In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and sea salt, and stir to blend. Add the vanilla extract, eggs, oil, and milk, and stir until well blended. Add the apples and stir to thoroughly coat them with the batter.


Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake pan. Place the pan in the center of the oven and bake until fairly firm and golden, about 25 minutes.

Meanwhile, prepare the topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar, egg, and melted butter, and stir to blend. Set it aside.

Remove the cake from the oven and pour the topping mixture over it. Return the cake to the oven and bake until the top is a deep golden brown and the cake feels quite firm when pressed with a fingertip, about 10 minutes.

Transfer the cake pan to a rack and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Then run a knife around the sides of the pan, and release and remove the springform side, leaving the cake on the pan base. Serve at room temperature, cut into thin wedges.


7 comments:

  1. L, That looks so delicious, and beautifully presented; I wish I had a slice right now. Gorgeous photography too.

    Congrats on your new blog, what a treat for us! I look forward to following along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you again Mary...I am twice honored!

    This could be addicting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Linda...I copied down this recipe when the book first came out but somehow never tried it. It's nice to see what it looks like and to know that you enjoyed it. I hope you have as much fun with your new blog as I have with mine.
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm here from La Table de Nana. Monique says this is a must make apple cake. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I will make it this weekend.
    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too have popped over from La Table de Nana, for your apple cake recipe,it must be good as every recipe I've tried from Monique is always a winner with my family.I do have other apple cake recipes which are always a big success but I'll certainly be trying yours this weekend, as we have been invited to our friends for lunch on Sunday & I've promised to bring the pudding. I hope mine is as good as yours looks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nana sent me, too! This looks wonderful! First, I must finally buy a springform pan, immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for stopping by! Hope you enjoy this cake!

    ReplyDelete